Real Estate & Property Development Overview
Our real estate sector clients represent a wide range of clients from both within and outside of Manitoba, include property owners and managers, developers, funds, brokers, major financial institutions and condominium corporations, among others.
The Real Estate & Property Development Group within TDS is comprised of a number of experienced and knowledgeable lawyers who are well known to real estate and property development organizations.
Clients expect that our lawyers know the law, that is a given. While many lawyers know the law, TDS lawyers make an extra effort to not only know our clients’ business, but also to understand their industry and the nuances that go along with each unique sector.
In order to better understand the evolving needs of real estate & property development organizations, we are members of, or are involved with a number of industry related organizations including The Canadian Condominium Institute, The Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA), The Winnipeg Real Estate Board and The Winnipeg Real Estate Associate.
Our Real Estate & Property Development Group lawyers work as part of our clients’ team to develop strategies to help achieve business objectives and solve problems, including:
- Corporate and Commercial – Our Real Estate & Property Development Group helps clients with a wide range of corporate and commercial matters including corporate governance, debt restructuring, contractual arrangements, reorganizations, amalgamations, commercial agreements and regulatory approvals.
- Financing – Financing real estate transactions can be critical to the future of your organization and its growth strategy. Our lawyers help clients with loan transactions, debt and equity financings, securities law and have relationships with many leading financial institutions, commercial lenders and government agencies. TDS lawyers are highly connected in the commercial banking and lending, credit union, venture capital and private equity circles.
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution – With the largest litigation and dispute resolution practice in Manitoba, we are able to work proactively and collaboratively with clients to ensure that they receive innovative, cost-effective representation.
- Mergers & Acquisitions – Our lawyers regularly assist local, national and international clients with reorganizations, amalgamations, wind-ups and mergers. Today’s M&A transactions are often international or even global in reach. TDS is a founding member (and the exclusive Manitoba member) of Lex Mundi – the world’s leading network of independent law firms, with in-depth experience in 100+ countries worldwide. Our global connections to top law firms can make a world of difference to clients when it comes to M&A.
- Property & Development – We provide a full range of services and expertise, from development, rezoning, construction, property management and condominium development and management, to realization on security through foreclosure and insolvency remedies.
- Real Estate Transactions – TDS provides counsel and services to lenders and borrowers in a variety of areas such as advising on commercial sales and purchases and leasing.
While you focus on the operation of your organization, we will work on solving your legal problems and protecting your interests. Whatever your challenge, we’re ready to support you.
TDS Law is proud to be external counsel for some leading companies, including:
- H&R Real Estate Investment Trust and Montez Core Income Fund IV Limited Partnership
- Greystone Managed Investments Inc. and Harvard Developments Inc.
- Hopewell Development Corporation
- Glasshouse (condominium development)
- SkyCity (condominium development)