- Advocacy: Litigation And Dispute Resolution
- Corporate and Commercial Law
- Government & Regulatory
Bill was appointed Counsel to the firm January 1, 2011. His practice covers virtually all practice fields which involve general advice, advocacy and dispute resolution. He concentrates on Health Law, Governmental advice, Legislative Drafting, Corporate and Commercial Litigation, Labour and Employment Law, Class Actions and Governance Issues. He acts as lead counsel and advisor to many clients and has appeared before all levels of Courts, Labour Boards and most Tribunals.
EDUCATION: University of Manitoba, LL.B., 1970 (Gold Medalist)
University of Manitoba, B. Arts, 1966
CALL TO THE BAR: Manitoba, 1972
REPRESENTATIVE CASES/TRANSACTIONS: Lead counsel for the Province of Manitoba in:
• Gendis v. AG Canada and Manitoba (Constitutional Law)
• Bellan v. Curtis (Crocus) et al (Class Action)
• Driskell v. Manitoba et al (Civil Claim for Wrongful Conviction)
• Sophonow and Driskell Inquiries (Wrongful Convictions)
Lead counsel in Pension cases:
• Dinney v. GWL ($30M - Court of Queens Bench)
• TEAM v. MTS ($150M - Court of Queens Bench)
• University of Manitoba
• City of Winnipeg Police
Lead counsel for Employer in Labour matters:
• CEP v. CanWest Global (National Single Employer Application)
• Dozens of Interest Arbitrations for the Province of Manitoba
• 5 Interest Arbitrations to set Physicians’ Remuneration, for Manitoba Department of Health in the last 20 years.
Lead counsel on Health Law issues:
• Inquests including into the death of Brian Sinclair (ongoing)
• Suspension and discipline of Vascular Surgeon before 2 Medical Hearing Tribunals on appeals
• For Hospital in controversial End-of-Life decision before Manitoba Courts
• General advice to the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority
ACHIEVEMENTS: Named by Best Lawyers® as the Winnipeg Lawyer of the Year in 2011 in Insurance Law and 2013 in Construction Law
Designated as one of Canada’s top 500 Lawyers by Lexpert Magazine each year 1999 - 2012 Recognized by Lexpert as one of Canada’s Leading Litigation Lawyers in the December issue on Business Special Edition 2011 and 2012
Queen’s Counsel, 1983 Clerked in Supreme Court of Canada 1970 to 1971 President, Law Society of Manitoba 1985 to 1986 Bill has been selected by his peers to be included in the Best Lawyers in Canada 2009 through 2013 Edition’s in Alternate Dispute Resolution, Bet The Company Litigation, Construction Law, Corporate and Commercial Litigation, Insurance Law and Labour and Employment Law.
Appointed as Chair of the Regional Committee for Manitoba of the Supreme Court Advocacy Institute.
COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT: Member of the Board of Directors for Manitoba Blue Cross, currently Vice-Chair and Chairman of Governance Committee