Charities and Not-For-Profits Overview
The Charities & Not-For-Profit Group represents charities and not-for-profit organizations in Canada. Our clients range from the largest charities and foundations in Canada to small community organizations. They include public and private foundations, hospitals, universities, schools, social service organizations, environmental groups, trade and professional associations and churches.
We act as counsel to charities and not-for-profit organizations and other professionals with regard to:
- incorporation and organization of non-profit organizations
- registration of charities to obtain charitable status
- fundraising issues and charitable giving
- establishment of endowment funds
- governance, policy development and risk management
- directors’ and trustees’ duties and liabilities
- reorganizations, wind-ups and mergers
- defence and administration of charitable bequests
- planned giving
- labour & employment law
- hospital law
- intellectual property matters
- general legal matters, including administration and real estate
The laws and regulations with which charities & not-for-profit organizations must comply is growing increasingly complicated and is ever-changing. Our experience in all matters pertaining to charities & not-for-profit organizations allows us to assist these organizations in a quick, efficient and practical manner. In addition, many lawyers at TDS serve on various boards and committees in the charities & not-for-profit sector, provides us with first-hand knowledge of the issues facing these organizations.
Leilani’s practice is focused on corporate and commercial transactions, with a primary focus on tax.
The Legislative and Regulatory Environment for Social Enterprise and Social Finance in Canada
This paper outlines the current status and trends in the regulatory environment related to social enterprise and social finance and makes recommendations to nurture the development of social enterprises and social finance. Read more...
The Winnipeg Foundation
Peter acts as counsel to The Winnipeg Foundation, the oldest and second largest community foundation in Canada, with respect to a wide variety of issues, including donor gifts, contract review and negotiation, agency agreements, trust and estate matters and Income Tax issues with respect to Canada Revenue Agency. Read more...