While global economic growth has been challenging, Canadian investment firms are at the forefront of actively building great businesses that have exhibited growth through both good and bad business climates. This begs the question – how do you build a company that is able to realize long-term, sustainable growth through all business cycles? The CVCA has gathered a number of leaders and investors who have successfully built growth-driven organizations to answer that very question, whether through acquisitions, exceptional management and leadership, partnerships with other growth-focused private equity investors or active and collaborative board construction.
SESSION 1: GROWTH THROUGH ACQUISITION
A classic investment thesis of private equity firms over time has been to generate superior returns through a successfully executed roll-up strategy and acquisition program. Several successful managers and investors who have executed such a strategy join us to discuss their approach, execution and the potential pitfalls related to these acquisition strategies.
Moderator: Ian Palm, Partner, McCarthy Tetrault LLP
- Alan Lever, Partner, TorQuest Partners
- John Billowits, CFO, Constellation Software
- Kevin McAllister, Principal, Sterling Partners
- Sandy Scott, Principal, Tandem Expansion
SESSION 2: GROWTH THROUGH EXCEPTIONAL MANAGEMENT
Building a deep, talented management team is one of the pillars of executing a successful and sustainable long-term growth strategy. Our panel will discuss the importance of building a strong management team from the perspective of private equity investors.
Moderator: Richard Davis, Partner, RHR International
- John Loh, Partner, Birch Hill Equity Partners
- Mark Gordon, Managing Director, ONCAP
- Daniel Klass, Managing Partner, Klass Capital
SESSION 3: THE ROLE OF CANADIAN PENSION FUNDS IN BUILDING GREAT COMPANIES
Canadian pension funds have successfully built direct investing capabilities in recent years and have played an integral part in the growth of a number of very successful global companies. Our panel will discuss the direct investment strategies of the leading Canadian pension funds and how it has evolved over time.
Moderator: John Sherrington, Vice Chairman, Scotia Capital
- Sandra Bosela, Managing Director, OPTrust Private Markets Group
- Russell Hammond, Director, Consumer, Retail and Industrials, Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan Private Capital
- Tony Morgan, Vice-President, CPP Investment Board
- Derek Smyth, Managing Director, OMERS Ventures