Our firm provides services to developers, general contractors, subcontractors, material and equipment suppliers, lenders, insurers, sureties, engineers and architects, and those engaging construction services.
While many lawyers know the law, TDS lawyers make an extra effort to not only know our clients’ business, but also to understand their industry and the nuances that go along with each unique sector.
In order to better understand the evolving needs of construction companies, TDS is a member of the Manitoba Heavy Construction Association, and the Winnipeg Construction Association. In addition, TDS construction lawyers have taught Construction Law through the Winnipeg Construction Association and at the Manitoba Heavy Construction Expo.
Our construction lawyers work as part of our clients’ team to develop strategies and solve problems, including:
- Contract Drafting – Trust TDS to draft contracts for your construction projects. A well-written contract saves you money, reduces risk to your project, and helps prevent issues down the road. We are frequently involved in negotiating and structuring projects for our clients, large and small, and in resolving disputes through alternative dispute resolution mechanisms or litigation.
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution – Litigation and dispute resolution in the construction industry has some unique characteristics. Amongst those unique characteristics is building products liability, and construction defect liability. With the largest litigation and dispute resolution practice in Manitoba, we are able to work collaboratively with clients to ensure that they receive innovative, cost-effective representation. Whether it is contractual disputes, bankruptcy, class actions, products liability, construction defect liability, tax litigation, or commercial litigation, we can help.
- Labour & Employment – TDS construction lawyers have experience with matters specific to the construction sector, whether with respect to terminology or cultural norms. Workplace Health & Safety Regulations and employee handbooks are areas of interest for many employers. Our lawyers work with our clients to develop comprehensive agreements, policies and documentation to protect both the worker and the company.
- Financing – Financing construction operations can be critical to the future of the business and its growth strategy. Our lawyers have relationships with many leading financial institutions and government agencies. Our strategic connections can help in assisting clients with grant applications and lease/loan negotiations and applications. TDS lawyers are also very connected in the venture capital, private equity and angel investor circles.
- Corporate Development – TDS has direct access to innovative services offered through our strategic partner, Acumen Corporate Development Inc. Acumen provides clients with a full suite of strategic business services which helps clients with both their growth and exit strategies.
- Corporate and Commercial – Our Construction Law Group helps clients with a wide range of corporate and commercial matters including financing, restructuring, partnerships, joint ventures, corporate governance, taxation, securities, intellectual property and shareholder agreements.
- Business Immigration – When our clients need to look outside Canada for labour, we assist with navigating the immigration bureaucracy to ensure that applications are processed and the people they need to run their operation are able to work in Canada.
- Mergers & Acquisitions – Our lawyers regularly assist local, national and international clients with leveraged and management buy-outs, joint ventures, acquisitions and divestitures, cross-border transactions, public company transactions, reorganizations and recapitalizations, transactions involving divisions, subsidiaries and spinoffs, and restructurings. Today’s M&A transactions are often global in reach. TDS is a founding member (and the exclusive Manitoba member) of Lex Mundi – the world’s leading network of independent law firms, with in-depth experience in 100+ countries worldwide. Our global connections to top law firms can make a world of difference to clients when it comes to M&A.
- Property & Development – We provide a full range of services and expertise, from basic conveyancing work, to advising on commercial sales and purchases, leasing, development, construction and property management, to realization on security through foreclosure and insolvency remedies.
- Real Estate Transactions – TDS provides counsel and services to lenders and borrowers in financing transactions, and to a wide number and variety of clients in the acquisition and sale of property including commercial, industrial and retail properties.
While you focus on the operation of your business, we will work on solving your legal problems and protecting your interests. Whatever your challenge, we’re ready to support you.