TDS lawyers understand the manufacturing industry and are actively involved in the industry where our clients operate.
We are members of the Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters (CME) and several of our lawyers sit on its committees, including the Tax Committee, Technology Committee and the Environment Committee. We are also a member of the Manitoba Aerospace Association, and one of the partners of our firm serves as its honorary counsel. Whether our clients are looking to expand globally, protect intellectual property, receive Scientific Research & Experimental Development Tax Credits, ensure they are compliant with environmental protection requirements, purchase, lease or sell plants or equipment, prepare a contract with suppliers or find an international partner, TDS can help. Our lawyers assist our manufacturing clients in areas including:
- Business Immigration – When our clients need to look outside of Canada for labour to run their operations, we assist them with navigating the immigration bureaucracy to ensure applications are processed and the people they need to run their operation are able to work in Canada.
- Contract Negotiations – To be successful in a globally competitive industry, our clients need many different contracts ranging from supply agreements, land leases, transportation arrangements, construction, and sales/distribution agreements. Our team works closely with our clients’ business leaders to negotiate and develop practical agreements that help make deals happen.
- Environmental Compliance – Environmental sustainability, safety and compliance is one of the top concerns of manufacturing companies. Lawyers in our firm assist our clients with advice concerning environmental assessment processes, environmental issues in real property transactions, contaminated site issues, environmental management systems (EMS), and regulatory compliance.
- Financing – Financing manufacturing expansion projects can be daunting. Our lawyers have relationships with many financial institutions and government agencies which can help assist clients with grant applications and lease/loan negotiations and applications. TDS is a member of the Canadian Venture Capital Association (CVCA), and our lawyers are also very connected in the venture capital and private equity circles.
- Intellectual Property (IP) – Many manufacturing clients have valuable intellectual property that requires protection in Canada and abroad. IP may include patents, trademarks, industrial designs, trade secrets and licensing agreements. We help manufacturing clients develop, acquire, register, protect and sell their IP.
- Labour & Employment – Labour and employment law in the manufacturing industry has some unique characteristics. Whether with respect to terminology or cultural norms, TDS manufacturing lawyers have experience with matters specific to the manufacturing sector. Workplace Health & Safety Regulations, collective bargaining agreements, strikes/lock-outs, executive EMT agreements, and employee handbooks are areas of need for many employers. Our lawyers work with our clients to develop comprehensive agreements, policies and documentation to protect both the worker and the company.
- Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A) – Our lawyers regularly assist local, national and international clients with leveraged and management buy-outs, joint ventures, acquisitions and divestitures, cross-border transactions, public company transactions, reorganizations and recapitalizations, transactions involving divisions, subsidiaries and spinoffs, and restructurings. Today’s M&A transactions are often global in reach. TDS is a founding member (and the exclusive Manitoba member) of Lex Mundi – the world’s leading network of independent law firms, with in-depth experience in 100+ countries worldwide. Our global connections to top law firms can make a world of difference to clients when it comes to M&A.
- Property & Development – We provide a full range of services and expertise, from basic conveyancing work, to advising on commercial sales and purchases, leasing, development, construction and property management, to realization on security through foreclosure and insolvency remedies.
- Tax Credits for Research & Development – Manufacturing companies may benefit from applying for Scientific Research & Experimental Development (SR&ED) tax credits with assistance from their accounting firms. However, the claims are sometimes denied by the Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA). When appropriate, our tax dispute resolution lawyers advocate on behalf of our clients, helping them receive the tax credits which may be critical to the growth and success of their international business.
Whatever your challenge, we’re ready to support you. While you focus on the operation of your business, we will work on solving your legal problems and protecting your interests, allowing you to sleep easier at night. TDS is proud to be part of the team of some leading manufacturing companies in aerospace, agrifood processing, farm machinery & equipment, plastics & packaging, custom casting production, window manufacturing, steel fabrication, oilfield products, architectural millwork and commercial printing, including:
- Capitol Steel
- HyLife Ltd.
- Buhler Industries
- Magellan Aerospace Limited