Allan provides advice and representation to regulatory bodies, governments and other individuals and organizations across Canada and internationally. Allan’s practice is focused on professional regulation, governance, employment law, dispute resolution and arbitration. Allan is counsel to Thompson Dorfman Sweatman on practice and ethics matters and is the Chief Operating Officer for the firm.
B.A. 1970 University of Manitoba
LL.B. 1974 University of Manitoba
Allan was designated a Queen’s Counsel in 1998. In 2015 he was awarded the Manitoba Bar Association President’s Award, and was also the winner of the Richard J. Scott Award, given by the Law Society of Manitoba to “an individual who advances rule of law through advocacy, litigation, teaching, research or writing”.
In the Community
- Federation of Law Societies of Canada National Discipline Standards Committee Member
- Steering Committee member of the Canadian Bar Association Inquiry into the Future of Legal practice, and a member of the CBA Task Force on Conflicts
- Treasurer of the Board of Manitoba Council of Administrative Tribunals
- Board member End Homelessness Winnipeg and Chair of its Governance Committee
- Member of the Winnipeg Citizens Hall of Fame Selection Committee
- Board member, Canadian Legal Insurance Association and Chair of Claims Committee
- Past Chair of the Board of Trustees of the United Way of Winnipeg and active member of major donor campaign team
- Past Vice Chair of the Board of Directors of the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority