Our Financial Services Group provides a wide array of financial legal services from acting for various lender clients such as banks, credit unions, life insurance companies, pension plans, fund managers and mortgage brokers in relation to the provision of operating loan facilities, term loan facilities, subordinated debt facilities, mezzanine financing, collections, commercial mortgage loans securing industrial, commercial and multi-tenant residential properties to acting for the persons, firms, partnerships, limited partnerships, co-ownership syndicates, joint ventures, real estate investment trusts, and corporations to whom such loan facilities are provided and assisting those borrowers in the structuring of their borrowing entity, negotiating on their behalf the terms of any borrowing or loan facilities with financial institutions and completing those loan transactions.
Clients expect that our lawyers know the law, that is a given. While many lawyers know the law, TDS lawyers make an extra effort to not only know our clients’ business, but also to understand their industry and the nuances that go along with each unique sector.
In order to better understand the evolving needs of financial services companies and borrowers, we are members of or are active in the Risk Management Association and the VA Angels Group.
Our financial services lawyers work as part of our clients’ team to develop strategies and solve problems, including:
- Corporate and Commercial – Our financial services law group helps clients with a wide range of corporate and commercial matters including financing, restructuring, partnerships, joint ventures, corporate governance, taxation, securities, intellectual property and shareholder agreements.
- Corporate Development – TDS has direct access to innovative services offered through our strategic partner, Acumen Corporate Development Inc. Acumen provides clients with a full suite of strategic business services which helps clients with both their growth and exit strategies.
- Financing – Financing business operations can be critical to the future of an organization and its growth strategy. Our lawyers have relationships with many leading financial institutions and government agencies. Our strategic connections can help in assisting clients with grant applications and lease/loan negotiations and applications. TDS lawyers are also very connected in the venture capital and private equity circles.
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution – With the largest litigation and dispute resolution practice in Manitoba, we are able to work collaboratively with clients to ensure that they receive innovative, cost-effective representation. Whether it is contractual disputes, bankruptcy, class actions, intellectual property disputes, tax litigation, or commercial litigation, we can help.
- Mergers & Acquisitions – Our lawyers regularly assist local, national and international clients with leveraged and management buy-outs, joint ventures, acquisitions and divestitures, cross-border transactions, public company transactions, reorganizations and recapitalizations, transactions involving divisions, subsidiaries and spinoffs, and restructurings. Today’s M&A transactions are often global in reach. TDS is a founding member (and the exclusive Manitoba member) of Lex Mundi – the world’s leading network of independent law firms, with in-depth experience in 100+ countries worldwide. Our global connections to top law firms can make a world of difference to clients when it comes to M&A.
- Real Estate Transactions – TDS provides counsel and services to lenders and borrowers in financing transactions, and to a wide number and variety of clients in the acquisition and sale of property including commercial, industrial and retail properties.
While you focus on the operation of your business, we will work on solving your legal problems and protecting your interests. Whatever your challenge, we’re ready to support you.