Our Commitment to You
What is “Personal Information”?
Generally, “personal information” includes any factual or subjective information about an identifiable individual, whether or not the information is recorded. Personal information does not include the name, title or business address or telephone number of an employee of an organization.
Collection and Use – Legal Services
TDS collects personal information for the purpose of providing potential clients and clients with legal services and information. The kinds of information that TDS collects about potential clients and clients depends upon the legal services and information that they have requested. TDS endeavours to collect personal information directly from the individual to whom the information relates. This information may include the following:
- Contact Information (Business and Home): name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, and fax number;
- Identification: depending upon the nature of the services provided to you, photocopies of valid government-issued identification, such as a driver’s license or birth certificate;
- Information Relating to your Legal Issue: depending upon the nature of the issue, information about your family and employment status, business affairs, financial affairs, and property ownership;
- Relevant Parties: information about contracting parties, adverse parties, employees, witnesses and other individuals relevant to your legal issue;
- Information Provided by You: information provided by you in the course of your communications with TDS or information that you have expressly given TDS consent to collect; and
- Professional/Legal Obligations: information permitted or required to be collected by law or to meet our professional obligations.
TDS may use personal information for the following purposes:
- Conflict of Interest: to determine whether TDS may act for you or if we are in a conflict of interest;
- Services/Information: to provide the legal services and information that you have requested and to invite you to legal seminars or other events that may be of interest to you;
- Communication: to report to you about your file and/or respond to your requests or inquiries;
- Accounts: to administer, bill, and collect on your account; and
- Legal/Professional Obligations: to meet our legal and professional obligations.
Collection and Use – Website
Personal identification information
We may collect personal identification information from Users in a variety of ways, including, but not limited to, when Users visit our site, subscribe to the newsletter, respond to a survey, fill out a form, and in connection with other activities, services, features or resources we make available on our Site. Users may be asked for, as appropriate, name, email address, mailing address, phone number. Users may, however, visit our Site anonymously. We will collect personal identification information from Users only if they voluntarily submit such information to us. Users can always refuse to supply personal identification information, except that it may prevent them from engaging in certain Site-related activities.
Non-personal identification information
We may collect non-personal identification information about Users whenever they interact with our Site. Non-personal identification information may include the a network IP Address, browser name, the type of computer and technical information about Users means of connection to our Site, such as the operating system and the Internet service providers utilized and other similar information.
Web browser cookies
How we use collected information
TDS may collect and use Users’ personal information for the following purposes:
- To improve customer service
- Information you provide helps us respond to your customer service requests and support needs more efficiently.
- To personalize user experience
- We may use information in the aggregate to understand how our Users as a group use the services and resources provided on our Site.
- To improve our Site
- We may use feedback you provide to improve our products and services.
- To send periodic emails
- We may use the email address to respond to their inquiries, questions, and/or other requests. If User decides to opt-in to our mailing list, they will receive emails that may include company news, updates, related service information, etc. If at any time the User would like to unsubscribe from receiving future emails, we include detailed unsubscribe instructions at the bottom of each email.
Usage of our website does not constitute legal advice or solicitation and does not create a solicitor-client relationship, as such information collected through our website is not protected by solicitor-client privileges.
Disclosure of Your Personal Information
We may disclose your personal information based on your express or implied consent where the legal services that you have asked us to provide require that we disclose such information to third parties. With respect to our website, we do not sell, trade, or rent Users’ personal identification information to others.
We may share generic aggregated demographic information not linked to any personal identification information regarding visitors and users with our business partners, trusted affiliates and advertisers for the purposes outlined above. We may use third party service providers to help us operate our business and the Site or administer activities on our behalf, such as sending out newsletters or surveys. We may share your information with these third parties for those limited purposes, provided that you have given us your consent.
Third party providers
In the operation of the Site, we use third party services. Information collected on this Site may be shared, stored, processed or hosted by third party companies. This section details the companies we use and what information is shared. TDSLaw.com is not responsible or liable for the data storage, retention or use of information collected through our Site as part of using their services.
- The Hatchery Creative Labs – The Hatchery Creative Labs is responsible for hosting and maintaining the Site. Due to the nature of the relationship, The Hatchery Creative Labs and their providers have full access to information contained within the Site at all times and may access the information from time to time to provide technical support, quality control, data backup and site recovery.
Third party websites
Users may find content on our Site that link to the sites and services of our partners, suppliers, licensors and other third parties. We do not control the content or links that appear on these sites and are not responsible for the practices employed by websites linked to or from our Site. In addition, these sites or services, including their content and links, may be constantly changing. These sites and services may have their own privacy policies and customer service policies. Browsing and interaction on any other website, including websites which have a link to our Site, is subject to that website’s own terms and policies.
Our Commitment to Data Security
To prevent unauthorized access, maintain data accuracy, and ensure the appropriate use of your personal information, we have established physical, electronic and/or administrative measures to safeguard and secure the personal information that we collect. With respect to our Site, we adopt appropriate data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures to protect against unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure or destruction of your personal information, username, password, transaction information and data stored on our Site.
Withdrawing Your Consent/Ensuring Accuracy of Information
TDS aims to ensure that your personal information is kept as current and accurate as is necessary to fulfil the purpose for which we intend to use the information. At any time, you may request access to your personal information and/or you may inform us of changes or corrections to your personal information. You may also withdraw your consent to further collection, use or disclosure of your personal information, as well as to receiving our internal publications. Note that withdrawal of your consent to further collection, use or disclosure of your personal information may affect our ability to continue to provide to you certain legal services.
Your Acceptance of these Terms
Expressing Your Concerns
If you have a concern or question about our personal information practice management system, please contact:
Thompson Dorfman Sweatman LLP
1700 – 242 Hargrave Street
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3C 0V1
We will respond to your concerns or inquiry.