CanExport and Intellectual Property Protection Can Help You with Your Legal Fees

The CanExport program is a popular Canadian government grant that supports small… Learn More

Author(s):  Silvia de Sousa

published 04/16/2020

The CanExport program is a popular Canadian government grant that supports small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) registered in Canada that are seeking to develop new export opportunities and markets, especially high-growth emerging markets. If you are a business person who is interested in intellectual property protection, certification, or adaptation of contracts for target market(s) during the uncertain period of COVID-19, CanExport can assist with associated expenses.

 The CanExport program assists in covering some of the following expenses:

  • application fees to local authorities for the protection of intellectual property (trademarks, patents, copyright, etc.) in target market(s).
  • adaptation and translation of contractual agreements (sales contract, distribution agreement, licence agreement, services agreement, etc.) for the target market(s).
  • the cost of seeking legal, tax, or business advice specifically related to the target market(s).
  • the cost of engaging expert advice on regulatory issues for the target market(s), including on market access, intellectual property, trademarks, patents and certification.

Funding is provided on a cost-sharing basis between the applicant and CanExport. The program reimburses up to 75% of eligible expenses: the applicant is responsible for the remaining 25% (in-kind contributions do not count toward the 25%).

To be considered for funding, the applicant must satisfy all of the following criteria:

  • be a for-profit company;
  • be an incorporated legal entity or a limited liability partnership (LLP) in Canada;
  • have a Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) business number, but some exceptions exist;
  • have no more than 500 full-time equivalent (FTE) employees; and
  • have no less than $100,000 and no more than $100 million in annual revenue declared in Canada during its last complete tax reporting year (or during the last 12 months for monthly and quarterly filers).

Applications are accepted year-round through CanExport’s online platform located at .

TDS Law can assist you with your intellectual property matters.  If you need assistance, please email Silvia de Sousa at

DISCLAIMER: This article is presented for informational purposes only. The content does not constitute legal advice or solicitation and does not create a solicitor client relationship. The views expressed are solely the authors’ and should not be attributed to any other party, including Thompson Dorfman Sweatman LLP (TDS), its affiliate companies or its clients. The authors make no guarantees regarding the accuracy or adequacy of the information contained herein or linked to via this article. The authors are not able to provide free legal advice. If you are seeking advice on specific matters, please contact Keith LaBossiere, CEO & Managing Partner at, or 204.934.2587. Please be aware that any unsolicited information sent to the author(s) cannot be considered to be solicitor-client privileged.

While care is taken to ensure the accuracy for the purposes stated, before relying upon these articles, you should seek and be guided by legal advice based on your specific circumstances. We would be pleased to provide you with our assistance on any of the issues raised in these articles.

The Author(s)

Related Service Areas