Bruce is a partner with TDS who practises in the areas of financial services, corporate restructuring, insolvency and bankruptcy law, including advice regarding corporate debt restructuring and recovery strategies, Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act Arrangements and Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act proposals; loans, loan recovery, and enforcement; related shareholder, director, employee, environmental and other issues; lender liability, bankruptcy and receivership generally.
He advises corporations, banks secondary lenders, venture capital firms, shareholders, directors, creditors, and debtors.
University of Manitoba, B.A. in Economics, 1976
University of Manitoba, LL.B., 1979
Member – Insolvency Institute of Canada
Ranked in Chambers Canada 2022 in the specialty of Corporate/Commercial law.
Recognized in Best Lawyers™ 2023 Directory in Canada in Banking and Finance Law (since 2006), and Insolvency and Financial Restructuring Law (since 2006).
Recognized in Best Lawyers™ 2021 Global Business Edition in Banking and Finance Law, and Insolvency and Financial Restructuring Law.
Recognized as a Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished Attorney
Recognized in Who’s Who Legal Canada – Insolvency and Restructuring (2022)
One of Chambers Canada’s top lawyers in General Business Law (2019)
Recognized by Chambers and Partners (Global) in General Business Law (2018)
Recognized in Who’s Who Legal Canada – Insolvency and Restructuring (2018)
Named by Best Lawyers™ as the “Lawyer of the Year” for Insolvency and Financial Restructuring Law (2017)
Recognized in Who’s Who Legal Canada – Insolvency and Restructuring (2017)
Recognized in Who’s Who Legal Canada – Insolvency and Restructuring (2015)
Named by Best Lawyers as the Lawyer of the Year for Banking and Finance Law (2014)
Named by Best Lawyers as the Lawyer of the Year for Insolvency and Financial Restructuring Law (2013)
A leading practitioner, Banking, Insolvency (Financial Restructuring), Insolvency (Insolvency Litigation), Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (since 2014)
Lexpert Directory – Insolvency & Financial Restructuring and Banking and Financial Institutions – Repeatedly Recommended (since 1998-2021)
• Presenter, “Hostage Payments,” CAIRP Insolvency and Restructuring Forum (Winnipeg, May 2018)
• Presenter, “What We Tell Borrowers Who are in Financial Distress,” Risk Management Association (Winnipeg, 2016)
• Moderator, “The Chilling Effect of Potential Environmental Claims,” Canadian Bar Association Pan-Canadian Insolvency and Restructuring Law Conference (2015)
• Presenter, “Financing Distressed Businesses,” Canadian Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Professionals (CAIRP) Insolvency and Restructuring Forum (Winnipeg, May 2014)
• Co-author, “Forbearance and Standstill Agreements,” Canadian Bar Association Pan-Canadian Insolvency & Restructuring Conference (2012)
• Presenter, “Forbearance Agreements,” CAIRP Insolvency and Restructuring Forum (Winnipeg, May 2012)
• Author and presenter, “Business Restructuring Basics” with J.J. Burnell, Isaac Pitblado Lectures (November 2011)
• Presenter, “Creditor Perspective: Enforcing Security,” CAIRP Conference (May 2008)
• Presenter, “Directors’ Liability,” CAIRP Conference (May 2007)
• Author and presenter, “Technical Update,” CAIRP Conference (May 2005)
• Panelist studying the “Battery Plus Inc.” case, CAIRP Insolvency and Restructuring Forum, Continuing Education Seminar (May 2003)
• Author and presenter, “Insolvency and Social Interest Considerations: Navigating a Legal and Political Minefield.” The Canadian Institute’s Third Annual Advanced Insolvency Law and Practice Conference (January 2003); also published in the “National Insolvency Review” (February 2003)
• Author and presenter, “Environmental Considerations in Insolvency – Isolate and Insulate,” The Canadian Institute’s Advanced Insolvency Law & Practice Conference (June 2002)
• Presenter, United States Bankruptcy Code, CAIRP Insolvency and Restructuring Forum (May 2002)
• Presenter, “Tools for Restructuring the Troubled Business,” The Law Society of Manitoba, CLE Program, Advising Financially Troubled Businesses (February 2002)
• Presenter, “Reflections on Isobord,” Inaugural meeting, Manitoba Branch of the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Section (November 2001)
• Presenter, respecting the Supreme Court of Canada decision of Delgamuukw v. British Columbia, organized by the Interlake Reserves Tribal Council at the Little Saskatchewan First Nation (July 21-22, 1998)
• Numerous client and firm seminars and presentations to associations/organizations, including: The Law Society of Manitoba, Canadian Insolvency Association, Credit Union Central of Manitoba, Winnipeg Construction Association, Appraisal Institute of Canada, Manitoba Branch of the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Section, Lorman Education Services (as early as 1986)
• Presentations at numerous other conferences, including: Environmental Regulation Course, Credit Union Lenders Conference, NEXIA Corporate Recovery & Insolvency Conference (as early as 1986)
Thompson Dorfman Sweatman LLP is delighted to sponsor the Ronald McDonald House… Learn More
Date and time: 12:00 noon, Thursday, September 29, 2022 Location: Inn at… Learn More
2022 Manitoba Construction Law Update Seminar: The New The Limitations Act and Expected Amendments to The Builders’ Liens Act
Thompson Dorfman Sweatman LLP will be presenting a complimentary Construction Law seminar… Learn More
STEP Canada – Advising Families Across Generation seminar series with TDS lawyers Caroline G. S. Kiva and Leilani Kagan, K.C.
Thompson Dorfman Sweatman is proud to be a Diamond Sponsor for the… Learn More
Date: November 14th-15th, 2022 Location: Victoria Inn in Winnipeg Thompson Dorfman Sweatman… Learn More