TDS understands the unique and fast-paced world of our clients who are involved in technology development, ranging from small start-ups, business incubators and mid-sized companies to large international companies.
TDS is actively involved in various associations, including the Information Communication Technology Association of Manitoba (ICTAM). Being actively involved in technology-related industry associations allows our lawyers to keep up with the changes and developments in our clients’ industry and allows association members to benefit from our seminars, articles and webinars on topics of interest to them.
TDS also believes in giving back to the technology community by supporting initiatives and programs through sponsorships such as North Forge and Innovate Manitoba. Our firm is proud to be a corporate partner of the North Forge technology incubator and Innovate Manitoba. Our team of business, intellectual property and technology lawyers have been providing a wide range of advice and solutions to technology clients for decades.
Our technology lawyers work as part of our clients’ team to develop strategies and solve problems including:
- Intellectual Property (IP) Protection – Technology companies can generate a large amount of intellectual property that can be complex, valuable and difficult to protect. Our team assists clients with copyright, trademark, patent and other IP protection to ensure valuable IP assets are protected. Once our clients’ intellectual property is protected, we assist them in leveraging their technology with strategic partners, clients and suppliers.
- Financing – Financing technology and technology research and development can be a capital intensive investment. Our lawyers have relationships with many financial institutions and government agencies that we leverage to assist clients with grant applications and loan negotiations. Our lawyers are also very well connected in the venture capital, angel investor and private equity circles.
- Tax Credits for Research & Development – Technology companies may benefit by applying for Scientific Research & Experimental Development (SR&ED) tax credits with assistance from their accounting firms. However, the claims are sometimes denied by Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). When appropriate, our tax dispute resolution lawyers advocate on behalf of our clients, helping them receive the tax credits that are valuable to the growth and success of their business.
- Business Immigration – When our clients need to look outside Canada for technical expertise or skilled labour, we assist them with navigating the immigration bureaucracy to ensure that applications are processed and the people they need to assist with their operation are able to work in Canada.
- Due Diligence – On behalf of our clients, TDS technology lawyers will supervise all legal, financial and business due diligence to properly assess an acquisition or other strategic initiatives, and to help with successful integration of new business operations.
- Licensing & Distribution – Our technology clients developing software or tangible goods benefit from a well thought-out licensing and distribution system, allowing them to capitalize on their investment. Making sure the licence agreements are beneficial to both parties while protecting a party’s intellectual property can be complex.
- Labour & Employment – Labour and employment law in the technology industry has some unique characteristics. Whether with respect to terminology or cultural norms, TDS Law technology lawyers have experience with matters specific to the sector. From drafting IP clauses in employment agreements to reviewing employee handbooks, we can assist with all areas of labour and employment law. Our lawyers work with our clients to develop comprehensive agreements, policies and documentation to protect both the employee and the company.
- Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A) – Our technology lawyers regularly assist local, national and international clients with leveraged and management buy-outs, joint ventures, acquisitions and divestitures, cross-border transactions, public company transactions, reorganizations and recapitalizations, transactions involving divisions, subsidiaries and spinoffs, and restructurings. Today’s M&A transactions are often global in reach. TDS Law is a founding member (and the exclusive Manitoba member) of Lex Mundi – the world’s leading network of independent law firms, with in-depth experience in 100+ countries worldwide. Our global connections to top law firms can make a world of difference to clients when it comes to M&A transactions.
- Securities Law – Our securities group offers comprehensive legal services in corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions, and securities law and regulatory matters. We provide advice on all aspects of securities law and regulation, ranging from public offerings, secondary trading, and restructurings, to private placements, continuous disclosure and compliance matters.
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution – With the largest litigation and dispute resolution practice in Manitoba, we are able to work collaboratively with clients to ensure that they receive innovative, cost-effective representation.
Whatever your challenge, we are ready to support you. While you focus on the operation of your business, we will work on solving your legal problems and protect your interests, allowing you to sleep easier at night.
- MTS Allstream Inc.
- Manitoba Technology Accelerator
- Monteris Medical Inc.
- Several clients of the technology incubator at North Forge