TDS understands the unique needs of our clients who are involved in life sciences and biotechnology research and development.
TDS is actively involved in the Bioscience Association Manitoba (BAM), which allows our lawyers to keep up with the changes and developments in our clients’ industry and allows association members to benefit from our seminars, articles, and webinars on topics of interest to them.
Our life sciences lawyers work as part of our clients’ team to develop strategies and solve problems including:
- Intellectual Property (IP) Protection – Life sciences and biotechnology companies can generate a large amount of IP that can be complex, valuable, and difficult to protect. Our team assists clients with Canadian trademark, patent, and other IP protection to ensure valuable IP assets are protected. Working with Lex Mundi member law firms, we assist clients with the protection of their IP across the U.S., South America, Europe, Africa, Asia, and Australia.
- Financing and Raising Capital – Financing scientific research and development can be a capital-intensive investment. Our lawyers have relationships with many financial institutions and government agencies that we leverage to assist clients with grant applications and loan negotiations. TDS securities lawyers are also very well connected in the venture capital, angel investor, and private equity circles, and can assist with raising equity capital.
- Tax Credits for Research & Development – Life sciences and biotechnology companies may benefit by applying for Scientific Research & Experimental Development (SR&ED) tax credits with assistance from their accounting firms. However, the claims are sometimes denied by Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). When appropriate, our tax dispute resolution lawyers advocate on behalf of our clients, helping them receive the tax credits that are valuable to the growth and success of their business.
- Due Diligence – On behalf of our clients, TDS life sciences and biotechnology lawyers will supervise all legal due diligence to properly assess an acquisition, or other strategic initiatives, and to help with successful integration of new business operations.
- Government Regulatory Compliance – Navigating the various government regulatory agencies to obtain approvals necessary for your intellectual property can be complex. TDS life sciences lawyers can assist with this process, to ensure it is as straightforward and cost-effective for your organization, as possible.
- Labour & Employment – Labour and employment law in the life sciences and biotechnology industry has some unique characteristics. Whether it is terminology or cultural norms, TDS lawyers have experience with matters specific to the sector. From drafting IP clauses in employment agreements to reviewing employee handbooks, we can assist with all areas of labour and employment law. Our lawyers work with our clients to develop comprehensive agreements, policies, and documentation to protect both the employee and the company.
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution – With the largest litigation and dispute resolution practice in Manitoba, we work collaboratively with clients to ensure that they receive innovative, cost-effective representation.
- Cyber Security, Data Protection & Privacy Law – Our team works with our client’s team to assist with cyber security and data protection policies, drafting and reviewing agreements, providing advice on cyber insurance contracts, and ensuring compliance with Canadian privacy laws. Through our global Lex Mundi service, our lawyers assist clients with privacy law advice and compliance around the world, including GDPR in the E.U. and CCPA in the U.S.
- Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A) – TDS lawyers regularly assist local, national, and international clients with leveraged and management buy-outs, joint ventures, acquisitions and divestitures, cross-border transactions, public company transactions, reorganizations and recapitalizations, transactions involving divisions, subsidiaries and spinoffs, and restructurings. Today’s M&A transactions are often global in reach. TDS Law is a founding member (and the exclusive Manitoba member) of Lex Mundi – the world’s leading network of independent law firms, with in-depth experience in 100+ countries worldwide. Our global connections to trusted and reputable law firms can make a world of difference to clients when it comes to M&A transactions.
Whatever your challenge, we are ready to support you. While you focus on the operation of your business, we will work on solving your legal problems and protect your interests, allowing you to sleep easier at night.