Our clients in the public sector represent a significant part of our business at TDS. This group of clients includes crown corporations, government agencies, public utilities, universities and post-secondary institutions, and public sector employee associations, among others. While clients in this sector are highly diverse, they share some universal common ground in that public sector organizations have very defined governance and funding structures which create specific challenges and objectives, when compared to private sector organizations.
The Public Sector & Crown Corporations Group within TDS is comprised of experienced and knowledgeable lawyers who understand the public sector and crown corporation space well and are sensitive to some of the unique aspects of how they do their business that are important to clients in this sector.
While many lawyers know the law, TDS lawyers make an effort to not only know our clients’ business, but also to understand their industry and the nuances that go along with each unique sector. In order to better understand the evolving needs of public sector organizations and crown corporations, our lawyers who act for entities in this sector have a focus on the sector, in order to have a better and more complete understanding and appreciation for what crown corporation clients and clients in the public sector need from their lawyers.
Our Public Sector & Crown Corporations Group lawyers work as part of our clients’ team to develop strategies to achieve client objectives and solve problems, including:
- Corporate and Commercial – Our business lawyers help our Public Sector and Crown Corporation clients with a wide range of corporate and commercial matters including corporate governance, contractual arrangements, purchasing agreements, property & development, construction projects, leases, as well as tendering and procurement law.
- Labour & Employment – Labour and employment law in the Public Sector and Crown Corporations sector has some unique characteristics. Whether with respect to terminology or cultural norms, TDS public sector and crown corporation lawyers have experience with matters specific to the sector. TDS lawyers frequently assist clients with labour relations (such as collective bargaining, union negotiations and grievances) as well as non-union employment concerns. Workplace Health & Safety Regulations and Human Rights issues are areas of interest for many employers. Our lawyers work with our clients to develop comprehensive agreements, policies and documentation to protect both the employee and the employer.
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution – With the largest litigation and dispute resolution practice in Manitoba, we are able to work collaboratively with clients to ensure that they receive innovative, cost-effective representation. We help clients with everything from pension litigation and insurance litigation, to dispute resolution with first nations
While you focus on the operation of your organization, we will work on solving your legal problems and protecting your interests. Whatever your challenge, we’re ready to support you.
TDS is proud to be external counsel for many public sector entities and crown corporations, including:
- University of Manitoba
- Manitoba Hydro
- University of Winnipeg
- Winnipeg Police Association
- Manitoba Public Insurance
- Manitoba Liquor and Lotteries Corporation
- Diagnostic Services of Manitoba