Bailey’s practice is focused in the areas of civil, construction, and commercial litigation, and administrative law.
Bailey has experience assisting clients with a variety of legal issues in a broad range of areas including commercial litigation (i.e. shareholder disputes and related matters), contractual disputes, negligence, personal injury, construction litigation, picketing and injunctions, debtor/creditor litigation, and professional regulatory matters.
A large percentage of Bailey's practice focuses on the construction industry. She acts for owners, general contractors, subcontractors, architects, and engineers in construction disputes and construction project management matters such as tendering, procurement, contract drafting and negotiation, builder liens, and delay claims. Bailey also provides advice in connection with workplace safety and health matters.
Bailey acts as counsel in proceedings before the courts, arbitrators, adjudicators, labour boards, and human rights tribunals. Bailey also acts as counsel in alternative dispute resolution forums such as private mediations and judicially assisted dispute resolution (JADR).
Primary Practice Area
Bachelor of Arts (First Class Honours), University of Manitoba, 2003
Masters of Arts, University of Manitoba, 2008
Bachelor of Laws, University of Manitoba, 2008
Recipient of the University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowship
Recipient of the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council Fellowship (“SSHRC”) for her research on the development of political theory in Security Studies
In the Community
Vice-Chair, Manitoba Bar Association Civil Litigation Section
Chair, Manitoba Bar Association Construction Law Section
Presenter, Winnipeg Construction Association
• Sessional Faculty, Legal Methods, Faculty of Law, Robson Hall (2015-Present)
• Sessional Faculty, Construction Law, Faculty of Law, Robson Hall (commencing January, 2020)
• Speaker, Legal Remedies, Faculty of Law, Robson Hall (2018-Present)
• Speaker, Torts Law, Faculty of Law, Robson Hall (2018, 2019)
Bailey has given many presentations relevant to the Construction Industry and has spoken on the following issues and topics:
- The Builders’ Liens Act with a focus on lien issues and trust claims
- Drafting and interpretation construction contracts including CCDC 2, CCDC 5A, CCDC 5B, CCDC 14, CCDC 17, CCDC 30
- Tendering and procurement
- Dispute resolution mechanism for construction disputes and claims
- Drafting consultant agreements (architects and engineers)
- Amendments to the Builders’ Liens Act (Manitoba)
- Cross-Canada construction matters
Bailey has also given presentations on the following topics:
· Life and Disability Insurance
· Personal Injury
· Genetic discrimination in litigation